(Bahasa Indonesia) Training Activities Integrated Pest Warehouse (TAIPW) in SEAMEO BIOTROP (Southeast Asian Regional Centre for Tropical Biology),Tajur-Bogor on 24th to 27th August 2015, to carry out best practices in fumigation technology applications, as well as alternative materials fumigant.
Background doing this training are the rumors about the thinner ozone layer, which is one of the causes is the fumigant or materials that are applied by the fumigator, it is this which is still the main problems, as well as the demand for pest control which is now a requirement on private companies or agencies government both at the level of education, researchers, practitioners and policy makers.
The purpose of this training is to raise public awareness about safe fumigation practices, both for the fumigator and its effect on the global world. With this training, participants are expected to understand the importance of safety and alternative materials that will be used.
In the subject matter of fumigant alternatives, with resource persons. Mr. Yudhi Wahyudi, giving full details, theory, practice and the results obtained.
Under the Montreal Protocol in 1987 the use of methyl bromide (MB) for fumigation treatment is restricted since 2005 due to ozone depletion. Need a method as an alternative or substitute for quarantine treatment, some kind of chemical fumigation active ingredient that has been trials in as a replacement for methyl bromide, that is sulfuryl fluoride (Paul G. Fields and Noel DG White; 2002).
Commodity fumigation can be done for the purposes of export-import and treatment:
- Forest products: wood, rattan, plywood, flooring, pallets.
- Resultsof the earth: tobacco, brown, rubber, maize, rice, wheat, copra, coconut, beans.
- Vegetables: onions, potatoes
- Crafts: frombone, leather
- Evenoverseaspeople performfumigationin thehouse/buildingand its contentsby usingsulfurylfluoride.
- Empirical formula: SO2F2
- Appearance: colorless, odorless gas
- Molecular weight: 102.07
- Melting point: -135.8 oC
- Boiling point: -55.2 oC at 760 mm Hg
- Vapor pressure: 13442 mm Hg (25 oC)
- Specific gravity: 2.24 at -70 oC
- Sorption to commodity and materials: low
- Kelarutan dalam air : rendah
- Sulfuryl Fluoride as analternative to methyl bromide fumigant
- Only takes24 hours
- Characteristically Broad-spectrum and highly effective way to kill all stages of pests
- Not flammable, odorless, colorless, and penetration into the product to very good
- Non-corrosive to metals and electronic goods and electrical installations
- Do not damage the ozone, does not damage the environment
- Can kill all the pests that have been resistant to gas Phosphine and Methyl Bromide
Sulfuryl fluoride use to facilities:
- Food handling facilities: pet food facilities, bakeries, food production facilities, mills, warehouse
- Stationary transportation vehicles: railcars, shipping containers, trucks, airplane, trains, etc.
- Golf course
- The buildings, furniture, handicraft, wood beams /boards, woodlogs
Sulfuryl fluoride use to commodities:
- Cerealgrains: wheat, rice, maize, barley, oats
- Driedfruits: Raisins, prunes, figs, apples, apricots, bananas, dates,
- Treenuts: walnuts, almonds, hazelnuts, pecans,
Countries that already use Sulfuryl Fluoride:
- Swiss (Flour Mills)
- USA (Cereal grains, dried fruits, tree nuts, storage, milling, processing)
- European Union: Italy, United Kingdom, Germany, Ireland, France, Belgium, Sweden.
- China, India, dan Australia